Monday, March 29, 2010

I'm Learning Free Sparring Pattern # 11/ Black Belt Free Sparring Pattern #1!

Hello, Taekwon-Doins! I am learning Free Sparring Pattern #11, or Black Belt Free Sparring Pattern #1. In case you readers take Taekwon-Do but not at the Las Vegas Taekwon-Do Club, the Free Sparring Patterns (Or Free Spar Patterns for short) were created by Master Park and the Young Brothers Taekwon-Do Associates. As far as we know, Master Bosse is the only person left in the world that teaches them. He teaches 10 of them, and you learn one at each belt up until black stripe, but there were originally 13 patterns. And I am very fortunate to be able to learn number 11, meant for 1st dan black belts! I am about halfway through the pattern (I'm on number 7 of 13 movement groups)and it is really fun and cool!

In case you are wondering how they go, they consist mostly of kicks with punches at the end of each series of movements, and they are patterns to learn alongside the regular patterns (Chon-Ji, ect.) They too have you end where you started from, and they are full of great combinations of kicks that, unlike quite a few of the combinations in the regular patterns, are very helpful in sparring.

Also, if you know of anyone who teaches these patterns, please comment here! I'm very interested to find out if we are the only students of Taekwon-Do that learn these 'lost patterns.' It's hard for me to imagine Taekwon-Do without them- testing would be way too easy for the color belts!

2 comments:

  1. I'm Ariella Figueroa (formerly Ariella Einsmann). I took tkd with Master Bosse for 11 years. Through his teaching I earned my 3rd Dan and I am still teaching Tae Kwon-Do today. Training under him was a pleasure and I would not be the martial artist that I am without him. I hope you all consider yourselves lucky to have him as an instructor, you will never find another man as passionate about what he does more than Master Bosse. I also taught with James Byers for a number of years (another one of Master Bosse's old students) and he also teaches free-spar patterns. I teach my students here in Pensacola. So to answer your question, yes there are other schools that teach them, but I believe Master Bosse, Mr. Byers and myself are the only ones. Tell Master Bosse I say hi, and I miss his teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ariella! I'll be sure to tell Master Bosse you say hi tommorow. Thanks for sharing that you and Mr. Byers both also teach the free spar patterns- now we know that at least three people in the world teach them. I am very lucky to be taught by Master Bosse! He's a great instructor and loves Taekwon-Do, and me and my family are also lucky that when I started martial arts the first and only Taekwon-Do school we went to happened to be a great one! I'm not sure if you remember me, but I used to take TKD at the Whitney Ranch Rec Center and I went to all the End of the Month Tournaments. I also came to watch you test at the YMCA once. I still remember you and Cassie doing that Ho Sin Sul today! Now I take Taekwon-Do at Mt. Charleston.
    Thanks!
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete


October- How Many TKD Events Have You Been To? (tournament, demos, ect.)

About Polls

You can vote on these LVTKD polls whenever you want. I believe you can whether you have a Google account or not, but if I am wrong, please comment on any post. They are just for fun! After the polls end, the results will be written below for anyone to view!





Poll Results:

September- How did you discover your TKD classes?
An add somewhere- 1
A website or blog-0
A Taekwon-Do demo-0
A friend or someone you know-3
I saw or went to the do-jang-0
Other-0







August- Which of the below do you like the best?



Patterns- 1



Sparring-1



Board Breaking- 0



Pre-Arranged Free Sparring, Ho Sin Sul, ect- 1



All of them! -2



None of them- 0



I don't take Taekwon-Do- 0











July- How Often Do You Practice TKD at Home?







Every day! -7







Mostly every day -1







A few times a week -0







Every few weeks -0







Monthly- 0







Only before a test- 0







Never- 0























June- Why Did You Join Taekwon-Do in the First Place?







For the exercise- 0







For the self-defence- 0







To learn to fight -0







Because martial arts sounded cool- 1







Because someone I know joined- 4







Other-0







I don't take Taekwon-Do- 0























May- What would you give up for Taekwon-Do?







Your cell phone- 1







Your video games - 1







Your books- 1







Your jewlery- 3







Your TV/movies- 1







Your voice- 1







Your hair-1







Are you crazy? None of the above!- 0







I don't take Taekwon-Do- 0























April- Where is your favorite place to practice Taekwon-Do? At the do-jang (TKD training hall)- 2







Outside/in nature-2







At my house-0







In the store-0







Anytime, almost anywhere-1







In nice empty rooms-0







I don't like practicing-0







I don't take Taekwon-Do-0























March- What's Your Favorite Color Belt Pattern?







Chon-Ji- 2







Dan-Gun- 0







Do-San- 2







Won-Hyo- 1







Yul-Guk- 3







Joong-Gun-0







Toi-Gye-0







Hwa-Rang- 1







Choong-Moo-2







All of them!- 2







I don't take Taekwon-Do- 0







I don't take this style-0























Febuary-What Do You Like Best About This Blog?







The posts with stories, words, ect-0







The videos-0







The pictures-0







The TKD information-0







Other-0







Everything! 2







I don't like this blog- 1 (why?!)























January- Do You Take Taekwon-Do?







Yes-3







No, but I am interested- 1







Yes, but not this style- 0







No, and I don't want to- 0







I used to- 0