Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I finally figured it out!

I asked Master Bosse to watch my pattern "Ge-Baek" today, to see what I needed to work on. He said that I was de-connected from my pattern afterwards. He said that my techniques were good, but I looked like a robot. He explained that I needed to put my personality into my pattern. Comparing it to lasagna, Master Bosse said that it would be like someone just cooking up lasagna noodles and eating them plain. Not very exciting. Or, you could cook them and add a little butter, which would give it a little bit different flavor. Or you could add all kind of spices, changing the taste totally. It's the same lasagna, only you have to put your own spin on it, your own personality into it. It's the same with patterns. He said that my patterns had pretty good technique, but there was no Patricia in them. It was like a robot doing a pattern. Some people do their patterns a little bit slower. Others faster. Some people pause at different times. You put yourself into those patterns. If not, then it will be robotic. It could even be unexciting. The patterns are the same, but I have to make them different. He also suggested that I move my eyes a little more, instead of keeping them strait ahead all the time. I tried this. WOW! EUREKA! It's completely different! I always watch my patterns and wonder what is wrong with them. Master Bosse has been telling me I looked like a robot, that I was too stiff, for pretty much forever. I just didn't get it! It completely makes a difference. I also figured out that I need to not be nervous and get into my pattern, put myself in my own little white room of Ge-Baek, or Choong-Moo, or Dan-Gun, or whichever pattern I am doing. Master Bosse also compared it to teachers. You could have a teacher with the same tone of voice for the whole class, making it boring no matter how exciting what they are talking about should be, or you can have a teacher who moves his or her voice up and down, and move his/her eyes around, and body and arms, making you hang onto every word, never knowing what they'll do next. Below is what I decided you need to have good patterns:

To Have Good Patterns:
Know the pattern
Have spirit
Have good technique and stances
Have good sine wave, power, and speed
Have smooth, flowing motion
Put yourself into your pattern

As soon as I tried putting myself into the pattern, I got a result. It made such a difference. I'll imagine sparring, or doing a Ho Sin Sul. I'll have perfect technique, smooth. Patricia will be in that pattern.
Thank you, Master Bosse!

To all of you Taekwon-Doins, tomorrow (Thursday) is the End of the Month Tournament. You can go if you're from any of Master Bosse's classes. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment


October- How Many TKD Events Have You Been To? (tournament, demos, ect.)

About Polls

You can vote on these LVTKD polls whenever you want. I believe you can whether you have a Google account or not, but if I am wrong, please comment on any post. They are just for fun! After the polls end, the results will be written below for anyone to view!





Poll Results:

September- How did you discover your TKD classes?
An add somewhere- 1
A website or blog-0
A Taekwon-Do demo-0
A friend or someone you know-3
I saw or went to the do-jang-0
Other-0







August- Which of the below do you like the best?



Patterns- 1



Sparring-1



Board Breaking- 0



Pre-Arranged Free Sparring, Ho Sin Sul, ect- 1



All of them! -2



None of them- 0



I don't take Taekwon-Do- 0











July- How Often Do You Practice TKD at Home?







Every day! -7







Mostly every day -1







A few times a week -0







Every few weeks -0







Monthly- 0







Only before a test- 0







Never- 0























June- Why Did You Join Taekwon-Do in the First Place?







For the exercise- 0







For the self-defence- 0







To learn to fight -0







Because martial arts sounded cool- 1







Because someone I know joined- 4







Other-0







I don't take Taekwon-Do- 0























May- What would you give up for Taekwon-Do?







Your cell phone- 1







Your video games - 1







Your books- 1







Your jewlery- 3







Your TV/movies- 1







Your voice- 1







Your hair-1







Are you crazy? None of the above!- 0







I don't take Taekwon-Do- 0























April- Where is your favorite place to practice Taekwon-Do? At the do-jang (TKD training hall)- 2







Outside/in nature-2







At my house-0







In the store-0







Anytime, almost anywhere-1







In nice empty rooms-0







I don't like practicing-0







I don't take Taekwon-Do-0























March- What's Your Favorite Color Belt Pattern?







Chon-Ji- 2







Dan-Gun- 0







Do-San- 2







Won-Hyo- 1







Yul-Guk- 3







Joong-Gun-0







Toi-Gye-0







Hwa-Rang- 1







Choong-Moo-2







All of them!- 2







I don't take Taekwon-Do- 0







I don't take this style-0























Febuary-What Do You Like Best About This Blog?







The posts with stories, words, ect-0







The videos-0







The pictures-0







The TKD information-0







Other-0







Everything! 2







I don't like this blog- 1 (why?!)























January- Do You Take Taekwon-Do?







Yes-3







No, but I am interested- 1







Yes, but not this style- 0







No, and I don't want to- 0







I used to- 0